Pasta con broccoli
The use of anchovies are essential in this pasta. Don’t even think about that someone you cook for don’t like fish. The anchovies will melt into the sauce and give a salty and grounded flavour. It is very Sicilian to use raisins and pinenuts in the food, I love the sweetness and the nuttines.
The magic of this dish is to cook the pasta in the same water as the broccoli. If you are in a hurry you can cook them at the same time. This a quick and easy pasta dish with much nutrition. I prefer to use wholemeal pasta to keep it healthy.
Garlic infused olive oil: Make it before you start cooking. Pour 1 deciliter (100 ml) of extra virgin olive oil in a mug. Clean two cloves of garlic and add to the oil. Let rest. If you have some excess of garlic infused olive oil after one day of cooking, remove the garlic and use the olive oil another day.
- 400 g broccoli florets
- 6 tablespoons of garlic infused extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 anchovy filets in oil, drained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons black raisins
- 1 tablespoon pinenuts
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250 g short wholemeal pasta (if you don’t use wholemeal pasta, make it 300 g)
- Parmesan cheese, finely grated to serve
This is how you make pasta with broccoli:
- Prepare the broccoli, cut to small florets
- Bring a big pan of water to the boil. Add 1-2 tablespoons of salt.
- Put in the broccoli and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of garlic infused olive oil in a large pan. Add onion the anchovy filets. Cook and stir over low heat until the onion is soft and the anchovies almost have dissolved into the oil.
- Add tomato paste and 1/2 a ladle (two tablespoons) from the broccoli water to the pan.
- Add the raisons and pinenuts and stir all together.
- When the broccoli is ready, drain and drop it into the sause.
- Reserve the broccoli water.
- Cook the pasta in the broccoli water. Undercook it with 1 minute.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain and add to the sauce. Stir well.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta/broccoli water and add to the sauce if the sauce get dry.
- Taste and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Cook the pasta with broccoli on high heat for about 1 minute.
- Serve with grated Parmesan.
Pasta with broccoli is very good as left-overs. Have the pasta in an oven-proof dish, sprinkle with grated parmesan, olive oil and freshly ground black pepper. If the pasta is a little bit dry, pour in 1/4 cup of water. Place the dish in the oven and bake at 190 C / 375 F for 20 minutes.