Filled with nuts, grains and seeds. Without flour and yeast.
How do a Norwegian housewife survive the Italian breakfast with sweet baked goods? I don’t. There are two things I need from my homeland, that is nordic bread and brown goat cheese.
Mathilde is as earlier mentioned, the baker in our family. There are many recipes on nordic bread both in cooking books and on internet. She has tried out some of them and come down to this recipe. It is very hard for me to stick exactly to a recipe, but I am practicing. With all my concentration, this bread ends up to be a success every time. And it makes me so proud. I love the taste of all the nuts, grains and seeds. If I can make bread, everyone can make it!
Let’s talk about the ingredients: The bread does not contain any flour or egg. The ingredients psyllium husk together with flax seeds and chia binds it all together.
I buy mostly all the ingredients for this bread in Middle Eastern or Asian shops. Psyllium husk cost almost nothing in these colorful shops. In health food stores psyllium husk has become trendy and costs very much. Look after almonds and walnuts in bigger amounts and better quality in a Middle Eastern or Asian shops.
I use olive oil, but Mathilde prefer coconut oil.
- 140 g sunflower seeds
- 100 g sliced almonds
- 60 g whole buckwheat
- 60 g millet
- 130 g rolled oat (you can use gluten free oat)
- 60 g hazelnut /or walnuts
- 85 g flax seeds
- 30 g psyllium husk seed
- 25 g chia seed
- 2 3/4 cup (1 cup=240 ml) water (cold)
- 45 g extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
This is how you make nordic bread:
- Have all the dry ingredients (except the salt) into a big bowl and mix VERY WELL.
- Have water, oil, salt and honey into another bowl and stir.
- Then mix all the ingredients VERY WELL together with a spatula or a big spoon.
- Cover a bread pan with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Scoop your dough into the bread pan. The bread dough might look very wet at this point, but don’t worry, it just need some hours to rest.
- Make the surface flat and firmed like a bread.
- Cover and leave the bread in room temperatur over the night or for 8 hours.
Next day or 8 hours later:
- Preheat the oven on 365 F/ 185 C.
- Bake the bread in the middle of the oven for 1 hour.
- Take it out and gently remove the loaf from the pan.
- Bake the bread for another 30 minutes without the bread pan.
- Let it cool for for at least two hours.
- When the bread has cooled down you can slice it and keep in the freezer.
- In the morning I take out one or two slices and toast them. Happy days!